Saturday, January 28, 2006

Wekcome to my world!


Well, where to start! I am an aspriging opera singer who lives in Vancouver, and I am quite fanatical about opera, to tell you the honest truth. But the real thing - none of this Andrea Bocelli Il Divo Charlote Church Crap. I am talking pedal to the medal, luscious music making.
Right now I am listening to Franco Corelli sing Andrea Chenier, and it is sublime... I would give my firstborn child to have had the opportunity to have heard him live... How can an ordinary human possess a voice like that? I just got 2 amazing recordings... one of him singing Poliuto, and one of La Vestale, where he sings Licinius. Both are with Callas. Unbelievable. I am starting to discover more about the early 19th century - I am beginning to "dig" composers like Spontini, Cherubini and Mehul... I think that these composers will be the next big thing, once the whole baroque craze gets tired (which I hope it does.... at least doing baroque music with anemic voices! I read about a production of L'incororonazione di Poppea in Paris in the 70's with Vickers and Gwyneth Jones... now that would have been good!) .. Anyway, I like how the music of these composers is heroic, and yet very restrained at the same time. I am also listening to more Gluck opera this time.. But let's be fair here, lest you think I am a nerd or something... Nothing tops Aida.

Well, I think that's enough for my first posting! I look forward to hearing from all you old school
heart on sleeve opera lovers...

-heldenhobbit.....

PS - where does the name heldenhobbit come from? Well, people say I look like a hobbit (I'd rather look like Viggo Mortensen, but I digress), but I have a "full" (read loud) singing voice...
Besides, let's be honest here... don't you think Tolkien was plagarizing the Ring Cycle, just a little bit?

No comments: