Sunday, February 12, 2006

Seattle - Day 1

I have come to the conclusion that America is a fantastic place if you have money. The Seattle Symphony plays in Benaroya Hall... an accoustically superior environment, where the music is glorious (last night it was the extremely talented and gorgeous Nikolaj Znaider playing the Beethoven violin concerto) and there is generally a moneyed and contented audience. Breakfast at the IHOP is another matter entirely.... You get the sense of a lot of people left behind....

This is a divided country. After crossing the border, we passed a car that had bumper stickers that said "Pray for our Troops" and "God Bless America"... only minutes later, another car was festooned with pro-choice stickers and a big "less Bush" bumpersticker. Interesting.

But the clubs here are fantastic. I went to this place called "Vogue" where men in wedding dresses danced to 80's hits, and everyone was in sort of a goth state of mind. Then it was off to this place called "The Cuff"... and I will leave that to your imagination.

Anyway, I am at a youth hostel and my time internet time is running out. Off to watch the Met auditions... my friend is singing, and I think she has a very good chance!

No comments: