Thursday, February 08, 2007

15 minutes

Ordinarily, I wait until I have something to say before I write it down.
But I am in an experimental mood, and for the next 15 minutes or so, I will write whatever comes into my head and not edit it at all. I guess you could call this "stream of consciousness" writing. Although, to me "stream of consciousness" evokes a little Confucian brooklet somewhere rather than a literary form. If my mind is indeed a stream of consciousness, I would venture to say that there are rapids and currents and that I cannot navigate them. Or perhaps I think I cannot. Or perhaps it is not important to navigate at all and I should resign myself to just close my eyes and float along - like Anne of Green Gables did in that little dinghy while reciting "The Lady of Shalott". Of course, her boat sprung a leak and she had to be rescued by Gilbert Blythe.

I however vow not to be rescued, even though I would like to be from time to time. And I must admit I do have an overactive imagination, like Anne Shirley (surely) did.

And so, I will now retire to my room and light a candle and listen to motets by Mendelssohn and look out the window at rain brushing against the bare trees. Oh God. I am so pretentious sometimes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yer also dumb

l. lamb

Unknown said...

...I never really looked before, but i've been stuck in vancouver for over two weeks already and am therefore boooooooooooooored enough to have started a browsetheweb habit; your posts are very elegant, tight, and funny -- and that odd gentle nod to yourself now and again puts them just into the right bloggyzone, somewhere between a handsoff satirical opedpiece, which I wouldn't bother to read, and an egomaniaclal standup comic, whom I would be embarrassed to listen to. Perfect

Anonymous said...

sometimes?