Tuesday, February 06, 2007

For Simon, Wherever You May Be

When I was 17 I gave you the flowers I had picked in the wild.
They were cornflowers I think, and they stained my hands.
I wanted to place them on the windowsill so that everyone could see them
but we both knew it would have been unsafe to do so, so
I put them in an empty bottle and placed them in your closet
so that nobody would ask any questions.
But when I came to you in the middle of the night, I would take the flowers out and
put them in the centre of your room, and
we would stare out the window holding hands --
defiant in the darkness.

And the night before we parted I took you to a party
where everyone was dancing. I wanted to dance with you so,
but I knew that too would have been unsafe.
So I took you to the forest where the water ran clear
and we danced alone, in silence.

And when I left you you would not kiss me on the lips
and everywhere there were eyes, and everywhere there is injustice
still.

Dear God, this night I pray
that there is now music for your dancing,
Simon, wherever you may be.
And witnesses to your love,
and flowers
in the centre of your room.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben, I enjoy all your blogs, but this one goes directly to directly to my heart. Thank you. Michael

Lauren Bacon said...

Oh, Ben. You are such a gift. Bless you.