Sunday, December 16, 2007

Food, Glorious Food!

Here is an email that I sent to my friend Rebecca - gustatory goddess and foodie extraordinaire....

Oh my God. New York is just, well,aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh... I don't know where to start, so I will start with food. This is what I have eaten:

bruschetta with gorgonzola cream sauce - served piping hot...
Linguini with oven dried tomatoes, chicken, garlic oil, spinich, pine nuts and goat cheese - this was at an Italian place near Lincoln Centre - and guess who was sitting at the next table? Kramer from Seinfeld!
BRUNCH AT PASTIS! We saw Curtis Stone - that cute chef from from Australia who has a show on the Food Network.....we started out with Champagne cocktails that were bright pink and flavoured with rosewater...than a basket of baked goods that included:

raisin cardamom sticky buns
brioche with orange zest
VALROHNA CHOCOLATE BREAD - eaten with bitter orange marmalade
dense fruit-nut bread with dried cherries and walnuts....
then I had "eggs hussard" which were poached eggs over toast with ham and mushrooms and hollandaise, covered in SAUCE BORDELAISE (brown sauce with wine and shallots)...SO GOOD
wild mushroom ravioli with truffle oil
frangelico chocolate mousse
skirt steak served with arugula and shaved Parmesan
hot chocolate with ancho chillies and cinnamon!!!!!
the best cheese pizza...ever....
BAGELS.... with like a foot of cream cheese.
and I have only been here for 2 days.
I also went to this gourmet food market that had artisanal butter from france and more kinds of fish then I could ever imagine...and a black transsexual hooker buying fillet mignon???? And women in fur coats buying lobsters and
oozing brie and cherries in December and I went to Williams Sonoma where they have copper fish kettles and a candy floss attachment for a kitchen aid....and a demonstration kitchen where you can watch them make marshmallows.

Tomorrow I will slow down in the food department. Jackie O used to subsist on broth and fruit after she had overindulged. That seems sensible...and one should emulate Jackie O while in New York.

Anyway, lots to tell.... I have seen a lot, and experienced a lot... I had a lesson the morning after I got here at 2 in the morning! AAAAH...it was very cool, though....New Yorkers are very friendly and direct and they talk to you on the subway...about a great many things. My cousin is wearing a mini dress and stiletto boots and a vintage fur coat and is going out for tea at midnight ...she is very Sarah Jessica Parker. I think I am going to a concert of Medieval Christmas music tomorrow.... and then maybe to see some paintings by Klimt? Or my cousin and I may stay in bed and watch Annie Hall..... who knows!

love to you...

-b

No comments: