Saturday, December 15, 2007

Only in New York?

I knew I loved New York within 5 minutes of landing at JFK. I knew I loved New York because because by the time I had collected my luggage, more people had talked to me then in my entire time in Vancouver, or so it seemed. People asked me the time, people commented on my new coat - people smiled and looked me in the eye asked me where I was from.... I told them I was from Canada, and they wondered aloud why I didn't add "eh" to all my sentences. One woman selling Hot Chocolate asked me if pot was legal back home, and told her that you could get high just walking down the street. She wants to move - but I don't see why, because New York is everything you could ever wish for. In fact, as I was walking down 5th avenue last night, arm in arm with a friend, I said to myself "this is how I always imagined life should be"...for I always imagined that life should be loud and crazy, and clothed impeccably. I always imagined that life should be full of people, and full of good things to eat. I thought that life should be direct and honest and laughing and perhaps even a bit pushy.

Most importantly, life should have windows at regularly spaced intervals: Windows full of light that illuminate the darkness - windows with beautiful things in them that cause you to dream.

Today I feel like I never want to leave New York - I know that I will have to eventually, but I will always look for the New York in every place I happen to find myself - I will seek out that which is original and causes you to stop in your tracks; that which is unconventional and beautiful -- that which is real...

I will look for these windows wherever I go.

No comments: