Sunday, March 05, 2006

Normal day

Friends, I broke down. I was so overwhelmed yesterday by all that is Paris, that I decided to go to a movie. An American movie, at that, not even dubbed. I saw Brokeback Mountain, for the third time... If anything, it was a good way to improve my French, although I couldn't really see the subtitles. Of course, in French, the movie is known as 'le Secret de Brokeback'....It now being March, Paris is swimming with tourists. I wondered where the Parisians go, but now I have discovered. They go to the movies on Saturday morning. They buy lattes at the adjacent Starbucks, and they watch Amecican movies. I know, depressing, isn't it. I almost thought I was at Tinseltown Mall in Vancouver, except of course the women were wearing fur coats and munching on croissants as they went into the latest Jim Carrey offering.
After this, I came back to my hostel for a nap and to read my new very heavy book about the French Revolution (which I am trying to read as fast as I can as not to carry it with me on my journey). Then, I went to a perfectly hideous rendition of the Mozart Requiem at l'Eglise St Eustache. I thought... wow! Full house, concert in a cathedral, can't go wrong. Well, you know it is a bad sign when members of the choir wave to their family in the audience as they walk in. Cathedral accoustics are very forgiving (lots of reverb) but there is no hiding bad tuning. Alas. #
Today admission to all the museums is free.... so you can imagine the lineups, but I am going to be breave and go to the Pompidou centre. Or, I will just go to a cafe and watch the people go by. Both sound equally appealing.

No comments: