Sunday, March 19, 2006

"Something about the Mountain Air"

Ladies and Gentlemen, greetings from Terrace, BC. If you look on a map, you will find out that Terrace is halfway between Vancouver and the Yukon, both literally and figuratively. There are snow capped mountains, but you can still get organic produce at the supermarket. I am visiting a good friend of mine, and also because I had enough airmiles for a free flight, but only within BC. It is weird to think that 1 week ago I was in Berlin, drinking champagne at the intermission of the Berlin Philharmonic, but such are the wonders of jet travel. In order to get to Terrace you have to take a propeller driven Dash 8 that usually works, but is aparently tempremental. I arrived with all my limbs, and my sanity....

I thought it was funny that my friend lives on Queensway Road... did they rename it in my honour? Ha ha ha. Well, that's not so funny, but upon my arrival, she suggested we go for a walk at Fairy Island Park. Do you see a trend?
Then, she she suggested that we go for lunch, at this Greek restaurant called "The Golden Flame"... Okay... THEN, we passed the bike shop. It was called "OUTspoken". At this point, I was starting to wonder about a gay conspiracy in rural BC, but it gets better. On the way to the Golden Flame, we passed a bar called "Bear Country". I was beside myself with laughter. Here we are in this redneck town in the middle of nowhere, and everything has a queer name! Then we parked, and I look up to see a thrift store called "Closet Queen Consignment". I am not making this up. It was run by this little old lady, and I don't think she had any idea.... or did she? Maybe these places are really just fronts. Maybe I am in the centre of a thriving gay community, and I just don't know it... like the Provincetown of the north or something. I highly doubt it... I was at the Skeena mall, and they were blaring Phantom of the Opera from the loudspeakers... to keep people from loitering. If this really was a gay town, people would be camping out in designer snowsuits. I will get to the bottom of this (ha!) Tomorrow we are going to Prince Rupert... also known as "The City of Rainbows"....This is getting surreal!

1 comment:

robert said...

And for another but related conspiracy: the Gatorade Conspiracy.