Saturday, May 06, 2006

Consider The Strawberry - fallout


I just got an email from my kindred-spirit cousin Miriam. Miriam is an intern on the Food Network (bow down and worship..) What is more, she wears vintage clothes with great aplomb. I distinctly remember a fabulous ensemble with dark jeans, a red patent leather purse, and lots of gold lame (and hoop earrings). Miriam is fabulous, because we can talk about food and channel the personalities of our neurotic, but lovable Eastern European Jewish forebearers. She also appreciates the search for "reality" (and by this I am not talking about those reprehensible television programs that are a sign that we are in the midst of a steady decline. The Romans ate flamingo brains by the tonne, oblivious of the Visigoths at the gates. We watch shows like "Wife Swap") .... Here, for your reading pleasure, is an email from Miriam:

Benalah, You NEED to publish your blogs. My mother has been forwarding them to me and I can't get enough of them. I just read your thoughts on all things real and identify with every word. Recently in pastry class we were making the traditional strawberry shortcake ( pastry was not the highlight of my year as we used a lot of fake butter and whip topping instead of 35% cream and so on). Anyways, the strawberries looked outrageous... glorious nuggets of perfect red. I shouted this out to my pastry chef. She then said, "Yes Miriam they are beautiful but have you tasted them?"

I really miss you and can't wait until we can hug and shmooze. My life is fabulous and I am very busy. Just the way I like it. I have been interning at the Food Network, working with a food stylist there. Definitely an avenue I want to pursue. As well, I believe I will be working for George Brown College doing research for the Dean. Miriam on a computer...not so sure but the networking Ben the networking! As well, I have a wonderful boyfriend, Neil. Soooo cute. I am very lucky. So, when is Ben coming to Toronto? I want to hear more of your trip. Do you still have the same phone number? Are there any boys? I need to know these things. I love you so much Ben and really miss you.

All the best in the world,

Miriam

ps. Fresh ricotta cheese with a little brown sugar, marinated blueberries and strawberries in balsamic reduction, then you can reduce the balsamic juiciness from the berries again, over the cheese with shavings of white chocolate. Could you not die? Sometimes I make little butter tarts and stuff the ricotta filling in and spoon the marinated berry mixture over with a white chocolate spears on top.

pps you were the one who opened up my world to what real balsamic vinegar is. We need to talk olive oils next time.

_________

No comments: