Friday, February 24, 2006

Paris, day 3

Okay...well, it turns out that the people at le Metro have been thinking that I am a resident of Paris, because I have been buying really cheap metro tickets (5 euros for the whole day). Today, when I asked for my ticket, the woman looked at me suspiciously and said 'vous n'etes pas de Paris'... and I said..non... It turns out that tourists must pay double for metro tickets (is this their version of égalité?) ...but, she let me have the Parisian price, because I have 'un bon accent'?!?!?!? Um... calling My Fair Lady!!! On the way to les Invalides to visit Napoleon's tomb, I came across the Canadian Cultural centre... it was completely deserted, of course, and had a dusty cabinet with an exhibit called 'Prairie Writers' which consisted of tomes which I don't think had seen the light of day since 1972. Carol Sheilds was described as a 'New Voice' and the picture of her showed her sporting a lovely chestnut pageboy haircut. Okay... note to Canadian government: Try harder, or go home. The Canadian cultural centre is 2 blocks away from the largest collection of Impressionist art in the world (musee d'orsay) and 1 block away from les Invalides. An exhibition of 'art' which consists of a tv screen with a canoe on it AIN'T GONNA CUT IT.
Now I am off in search of food. I had this grand idea of cooking something, as my hostel has a kitchenette. Screw that. I am in Paris.

No comments: