Monday, February 27, 2006

This is the Real France...

I am writing you from an artists retreat in rural Burgundy.... I know, you probably want to kill me, and I if I were you, I would want to kill me too. It is quite idyllic here. I spend the day playing an antique Viennese piano in a great salon overlooking rolling hills dotted with cows... there is a ruined castle in the distance. Today it was sunny, and the light illumined the rolling hills and ancient stone buildings. I half expected sleeping beauty and prince charming to come riding over the hills with their retinue. I am situated near the medieval town of Vitteaux... On the surface, the town has not changed much since the 13th century.. in fact, the buildings are so dilapidated it is hard to believe that anyone lives in them, but aparently they are very valuable and very inhabitable. As we were driving through the centre of town, I remarked upon a beautiful half timbered building. I was told that it used to be the covered market where the farmers would bring their wares on market day. Now it is owned by the pharmacist who has turned it into, wait for it, a condom factory.
Apparently, Vitteaux is known for two things: horse racing (which has occured here since the 14th century) and the quality of its prophylactics. I am told that the birth control industry is a big employer in town. The other one is the mental hospital. The people o Vitteaux should be careful, because the first one might make the second one obselete! I also found it interesting to see that the "covered market" (condom factory) was decorated by a compelling portrait of the VIRGIN MARY. Does the pope know about all this?

No comments: