Saturday, February 25, 2006

Paris... you do the math

So I went to the Paris exquivilent of 7/11 and bought raw milk Camambert, organic vegetable soup and a half litre of Bordeaux for about 12 dollars. This is about the same price of a coffee on the Champs Elysees. I think the Napoleonic code has something in it about a French citizen's right to cheese. A tourist's right to anything, not so much. Today, I am off to the Marais (the Gay/Jewish district... how convenient! It occured to me that they Canadian equivilent to this would be having a leather bar at the Promenade Mall in Richmond Hill... yes, Paris is different). I am having lunch with my great uncle Simon and his daughters. Yes, I have family in Paris (with the same last name even.... 'oh, hello, you're not in any way associated with the Schnitzers of the 3rd arrondisement in Paris are you...' 'Why, yes... yes I am... how did you know? Was it my pronouced cranial ridge?') Before that, I might stop by the Rodin museum. After that, I might have a psychological crisis dealing with issues of identity/family of origin, race, sexual orientation,etc. During, I will most likely eat well. Yesterday, I went to the Musée d'Orsay. I can tell you that impressionism is basically about colour and cataracts... but it is very very beautiful. To see all of Van Gogh's best paintings in a room the size of one's living room is quite the experience. And you can tell really good art from mediocre art by the use of colour and light. Rembrandt had it, Van Gogh had it, so did Da Vinci. Monet too. All their paintings seem eerily real, but are still paintings. Discuss. Any input from the blogger named 'mother' would be appreciated here.

1 comment:

Amanda Le Rougetel said...

Ben - this is Amanda in Winnipeg, friend to Mendel, Deborah and Zak; you and I haven't yet met. I just want to echo your comments about Impressionist paintings. I was in Paris in the fall of 1977 (OK, that dates me) and I still remember vividly the impression of those paintings on me. At that time, they were in the Jeu de Paume museum. As for food prices, try the crepes on the corner stalls - I rmember them as delicious and cheap.